2022 Mobile Gaming Market Trends
A booming $120 billion industry, the future of mobile gaming has never been brighter. At AviaGames, we believe that 2022 will offer unprecedented opportunities for continued market expansion and tremendous avenues for growth. With that in mind, we’re keeping an eye on the following five trends that I believe will dramatically influence the mobile gaming market in 2022 and beyond:
1. Tournament Social Gaming Will Challenge Hardcore Gaming for Dominance – Gaming has evolved into an entertainment platform that fosters community building through simulated experiences such as music performances, fashion shows, movie premiers, and more. Mobile gaming’s low barrier to entry has seen a spike in new entrants to the gaming community. As the total number of mobile gamers grows, the percentage that are traditionally “hardcore” – around 20 percent – will begin to wane as a portion of the total addressable market. This opens the door for social mobile gaming to ascend to new heights.
2. Rocketing Number of Women Social Gamers Will Pivot In-Game Mobile Ad Strategies – According to a 2020 Facebook/Newzoo study, women made up 48 percent of mobile gamers. I’d wager that we’ve already crossed the 50 percent mark, and I believe that in 2022 that number will rise significantly, and with it, the role and value of women-centric in-game advertising. Studies show that women are 79 percent more likely to make in-app purchases while playing mobile games. For brands, this offers another avenue to raise awareness amongst women for increased engagement within the demographic.
3. Player Retention Will Determine Future Market Leaders – Only second to bottom line profitability, improving player retention will become one of the most valuable metrics in the business. The low barrier to entry for mobile gaming also means a low barrier to exit. Players in the market must cater to their audience’s needs, whether it be improving navigation and accessibility, creating a more interactive, personalized experience or hosting in-app events that keep gamers engaged and coming back. I believe we’ll be seeing a range of new player retention programs from all platforms.
4. Social Gaming Communities Will Amplify User Retention – More and more, people are turning to online gaming and entertainment to stay connected. This trend grew exponentially during shelter-in-place as players used gaming platforms to chat, interact and engage with friends and other players. No longer just a way to pass time, gaming has evolved into a social network giving users a platform to maintain relationships while also building new ones. The added social aspect in mobile games will drive user retention as players will continue to return to apps to connect with friends while also engaging in friendly competition.
5. Personalization Will Drive Mobile Gaming Monetization – Leveraging machine learning and a multitude of algorithms to create personalized social gaming experiences will be key to optimizing current monetization schemes and developing entirely new strategies. User-created content and personalization creates a better, more tailored experience for users that can even assist with user retention. Creating custom-built experiences to match players skills or offering in-app event recommendations based on previous preferences will keep users excited and coming back for more. Watch for the top players to get really creative here.